Philly Beef Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 1 lb Beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Olive oil, divided
- 1 Medium onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 Medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 Whole-grain or whole wheat hoagie rolls, split, toasted
- 6 Thin slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- Cut beef Top Sirloin Steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Season beef with garlic powder and pepper. Set aside. Cook's Tip: You may freeze beef steak in resealable food-safe plastic bag 30 to 45 minutes or until firm, but not frozen solid for easier slicing.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and pepper; stir-fry 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Cook's Tip: In some classic Philly Beef Cheese Steak Sandwiches, you'll find the addition of sautéed sliced mushrooms. You may add 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms and stir-fry with onion and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in same skillet until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Cook's Tip: To grill, keep steak whole and season with garlic powder and pepper as directed in step 1. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 8 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once.
- Return beef and vegetables to skillet; cook and stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top beef with cheese slices. Heat, covered, 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted; stir gently to mix. Place beef mixture on bottom half of rolls. Close sandwiches. Cook's Tip:The sandwiches can be topped with chopped tomatoes, if desired. You may substitute your favorite prepared cheese sauce for provolone cheese. The sautéed bell pepper may be served on top of the beef instead of mixed with the beef. You may broil sandwiches filled with beef and vegetable mixture, topped with cheese slices for 2 minutes on HIGH or until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
Test Kitchen Tips Use the pan size specified in the recipe. If the pan is too small, the beef will be crowded and browning will be inhibited. If the pan is too large, overcooking may result.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
Serving Size: 77 grams
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: 3g|
|Trans Fat: 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber: 1g||3%|