Classic Beef Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 4 medium red, yellow or green bell peppers
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 14 ½ oz diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, drained
- ½ cup cooked white or brown rice
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried parsley leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Preheat oven to 475°F. Cut tops off bell peppers; set tops aside. Using a paring knife, carefully remove the membranes and seeds from bell peppers. Arrange peppers about 2 inches apart in prepared baking dish. Place tops on empty peppers. Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil; bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, breaking beef into 1/2 inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, rice, tomato paste, dried parsley, salt and black pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pepper tops. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers; replace tops. Bake in 475°F oven 17 to 22 minutes until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of beef mixture registers 160°F and bell peppers are tender. Garnish with parsley, if desired.Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Test Kitchen Tips: Use a potato masher to break up Ground Beef into small crumbles while browning.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: 2g|
|Trans Fat: 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber: 1g||5%|