Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- Combine Ground Beef and seasonings in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- To make patties, lightly shape sausage mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add patties; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- To prepare crumbles, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sausage mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.Cook's Tip: Two to 2-1/2 cups fully cooked sausage crumbles can be frozen for 3 to 4 months. To use, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add frozen crumbles and cook 6 to 9 minutes or until crumbles reach 165°F, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips Use a potato masher to break up Ground Beef into small crumbles while browning.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|