Three-Way Crumbled Beef Sandwiches
- 1 lb Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Soft hoagie rolls (6 to 7 inches long each)
- Toppings: Ketchup, yellow mustard, diced onion, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Split rolls, cutting almost, but not all the way through. Evenly fill rolls with beef mixture. Top with condiments, as desired or prepare using recipe variations below.
- Coney Island Variation: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2. Top beef mixture with heated chili or chili beans, chopped onions, shredded Cheddar cheese and yellow mustard, as desired.
- Philly Steak Variation: Prepare recipe as directed above, adding thinly sliced mushrooms with ingredients in Step 1. Remove skillet from heat. Top beef mixture with process cheese dip or sliced Provolone cheese. Cover; let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Continue as directed in Step 2.
- Italian Variation: Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1. Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle beef mixture evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese. Cover; turn off the heat and let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Continue as directed in step 2. Top with heated marinara sauce and chopped giardiniera.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 24.3g||31%|
|Saturated Fat: 9g|
|Trans Fat: 1.3g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 21.5g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber: 1.6g||6%|