Swiss Steak Piperade
- 1-3/4 pounds beef Shoulder Steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups hot cooked pasta or rice
- Heat oven to 325°F. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef steaks. Pour off drippings. Season with salt, thyme and pepper.
- Sprinkle onion and jalapeno peppers on steaks. Add 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook in 325°F oven 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and bell peppers. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until steaks are fork-tender. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Cook juices over high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Cut steaks into serving-size pieces; place in sauce. Serve over pasta.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|