Four-Way Baked Mini Meatballs
- 1 lb Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Meatball Pizzas, Meatball Sandwiches, Meatballs and Pasta or Meatball Soup (recipes follow)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Combine Ground Beef, spinach, bread crumbs, egg whites, water, garlic, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twenty four 1-inch meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400°F oven 18 to 20 minutes.
- Use meatballs to prepare one of the following recipes for pizzas, sandwiches, pasta or soup.
- Meatball Pizzas: Heat oven to 450°F. Spread 1-1/3 cups pizza or marinara sauce evenly over four 8-inch whole wheat pita breads. Carefully cut hot cooked meatballs in half; place 12 halves on each pizza. Top evenly with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese blend. Place on 2 baking sheets. Bake in 450°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crusts are crisp.
- Meatball Sandwiches: Heat 1 jar (14-1/2 ounces) marinara sauce according to package directions until hot. Add hot cooked meatballs; stir to coat evenly. Spoon meatball-sauce mixture evenly into 4 split French bread rolls. Top with sautéed onion and bell pepper, and shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese blend, if desired.
- Meatballs and Pasta: Cook 8 ounces dry pasta according to package directions; drain. Keep warm. Meanwhile heat 1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce according to package directions until hot. Add hot cooked meatballs to pasta sauce; stir to coat evenly. Serve over pasta.
- Meatball Soup: Combine 1 can (15 ounces) rinsed and drained Great Northern or pinto beans, 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) undrained seasoned diced tomatoes, 1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth, 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables and 1 cup water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add hot cooked meatballs; continue simmering 5 minutes to blend flavors. Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Cook's Tip: For easy clean up, line broiler pan (not rack) with aluminum foil.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|