Classic Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 beef Arm Chuck Roast, Boneless, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearled barley
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef Arm Chuck Roast Boneless; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; remove from stockpot, pour off drippings. Season beef with pepper and salt.
- Add onions, celery, carrots , garlic and thyme to stockpot; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and barley. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
Cook's Tip: Beef Stew Meat may be substituted for beef Arm Chuck Roast.
Cook's Tip: You may add additional vegetables for a heartier soup such as green beans, snap peas, broccoli and cauliflower. Add to stockpot with onions, celery and carrots.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|