Beef Meat Sauce
- 1 lb Ground Beef (93% or leaner)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish (optional) - Thinly sliced fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes to develop flavors, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in basil, if desired.
- Serve sauce over pasta; garnish with basil and Parmesan, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Cook's Tip: Two cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce may be substituted for one can (15 ounces).
Cook's Tip: Italian-Style Beef Sausage Variation: Prepare Italian-Style Beef Sausage by combining 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner) with 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Proceed as directed in step 1.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Beef Checkoff and BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|